Monday 5 January 2009

Book Worm Weekly




Happy New Year! Hope 2009 brings nothing but the good stuff :) to all my readers.


Now for my review of Double Cross.


Rating: 8.5/10


I really enjoyed this book I've been impressed by the 3 previous books in the series and book number 4 did not disappoint. This one was a real page turner, I started reading it on Monday and had finished by Tuesday. Like the previous books race plays a major role in Double Cross, racial inequality is still rife with the black Crosses being dominant over the white noughts. The book focuses on 2 main characters firstly Tobey Durbridge a young ambitious nought who is determined to go to university and make something of himself despite his subordinate position in society and secondly Tobey's best friend (whom he also happens to be in love with) Callie-Rose Hadley. Callie Rose is the daughter of the 2 main characters from the first book in the series and is mixed neither nought or cross and is just trying be herself not who everyone thinks she should be.

Tobey is trying to keep on the straight and narrow but is struggling with demons being a nought boy in an exclusive school. He begins to realise that it's hard to cling on to his ambitious dream whilst the streets around him are carved up by rival gangs. Offered the chance to make easy money just for making a few 'deliveries' Tobey becomes affiliated with the most infamous nought gang in his area. Little does he realise how that one decision can bring down violence on both himself and Callie. As a consequence Callie Rose gets hurt and Tobey is determined to seek revenge. Tobey embarks on an elaborate plan to not only bring down 'McCauley's' infamous nought gang but also the rival cross family the 'Dowds'. Tobey is playing a dangerous games affiliating with both rival gangs (hence the title of the book; Double Cross).
I won't reveal much more about the story line in case you decide to read it. I really don't want to spoil it because it's a great read. It's explosively page-turning, dramatic and full or relevance for our wold today. Along with the rest of the 'Noughts and Crosses' series I highly recommend it, fiction doesn't get much better than this!

What I'm reading this week... This week I'm reading a book called 'Sexing the Cherry' by Jeanette Winterson. Sounds kinda naughty I know...but it was recommend to me by a friend. I have a friend who studies English Literature at university and as English Literature is something I really enjoyed at school I would have loved to study it at degree level, but alas I studied Psychology! Lol. Anywho I take advantage of my friend's studies and she recommends books from her reading list that she has read and thinks I would enjoy and 'Sexing the Cherry' is one of them. So don't blame me for the provocative title...blame her!




Sexing the Cherry (1989)

ISBN: 978-0802135780
Review next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment